Saturday, November 6, 2010

Database Project

This was an interesting and frustrating project. Before this project I was not comfortable or familiar with Access. Now I feel a lot more competent.

Through this project I leaned a number of new things. One of the easiest things that I did learn but had trouble with was renaming a table. I figured out you simply have to close it first. Importing data was not as easy as I thought it would be. I tried to use the text import feature multiple times but the data was not correctly inserted and errors would come up. I ended up making two new files. One for my own data and the other for the 1000 files. Then I just put them both into a new documents. I finally figured out that I needed to "Paste Append" instead of just "Paste", as this also caused me some problems too. 

I learned that it is important to backup data. If you somehow delete or change the data type all data can be lost with no undo. I also learned how to create filters and sort data. It took me a long time to figure out how to lock a field in a form, but I finally did. One really useful thing I learned was how to create a report from a query.

I think that this database could be enhanced by creating more fields. Since this is a gym perhaps they could make a new table which could track workout routine.You could also have a weight loss table. Other information could be added such as how often a member visits. From the interpret-ability end of viewing the data perhaps Pivot Charts could be added. This would create fancier reports which are easier to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment